Don’t miss our next e-symposium on February 17th at 2 pm CST with Outstanding Educator award-winner Dr. Janok Bhattacharya. “Siliclastic Sequence Stratigraphy: Application to Exploration and Production” is designed for exploration/production geologists and geological managers or reservoir engineers. The course will give you an overview of the history of stratigraphy from traditional lithostratigraphy and biostratigraphy through seismic stratigraphy, sequence stratigraphy and allostratigraphy. The presentation provides an introduction to the theories that inform how sequences and systems tracts form as well as a practical methodology for undertaking stratigraphic systems using outcrop, core, well log, and seismic data.
The presentation will explain the relationship of the techniques and theories to exploration and production:
- Graphic description and interpretation of facies successions from cores and outcrops.
- Correlation techniques in siliciclastic outcrop and well log datasets.
- Overview of seismic interpretation techniques and how they are applied to outcrop and well log data sets.
- Construction of time-stratigraphic charts (Wheeler diagrams)
- Determination of facies and parasequence stacking patterns and systems tracts and sequence identification in 1D well logs and in cross sections. Implication of revised sequence stratigraphic correlations for discovering bypassed pay in known reservoirs or step-out exploration opportunities.
- How sequence stratigraphy can be used to highlight reservoir architecture and reservoir quality and for flow-unit definition.
Last 5 posts by Susan Nash
- Concepts, Models, and Case Studies of Dolomitization – with Applications to Hydrocarbon Exploration and Development - March 10th, 2014
- Applied Concepts in Naturally Fractured Reservoirs - March 7th, 2014
- Getting Started in Fluvial Stratigraphy - March 7th, 2014
- Basinal to Local Scale Stratigraphy and Facies Architecture of the Jackfork Group Turbidites, Arkansas - March 6th, 2014
- Unlocking the Deep HPHT Oligocene Fairway in the Nile Delta and the 20K Technology Promise - March 6th, 2014