Hear experts speak on basic knowledge and skills associated with seismic interpretation and the role of the seismic interpreter in the search for oil and gas. Donald Herron, an Independent Geophysical Consultant and Robert Wegner, a professor at Rice University will present these topics and more at the 2014 AAPG Summer Education Conference. This individual course will introduce and develop the concepts required to understand seismic data and seismic interpretation. To help reinforce course material, focused hands-on exercises will follow lectures and discussions. The course will be taking place Thursday and Friday, June 19-20 at the Summit Conference Center in Aurora, Colorado. For more information: Basic Seismic Interpretation – SEC
Event: Summer Education Conference
Presentation: Basic Seismic Interpretation
Presenter(s): Donald Herron – Independent Geophysical Consultant, Robert C. Wegner – Rice University
Date: June 19-20, 2014 (Thursday & Friday)
Location: The Summit Conference Center, Aurora, Colorado
Who Should Attend
This course will be helpful for new hires, experienced geologists, and geoscience technicians who work with seismic data and wish to learn and develop basic seismic interpretation skills.
Upon completion of this course, participants will:
- Understand basic concepts and practices of seismic interpretation.
- Be able to interpret seismic data and recognize interpretation problems.
- Understand the importance of seismic interpretation in a business context.
The course consists of lectures on fundamental topics including basics of petroleum geology, seismic response, velocity, resolution, seismic migration, seismic correlation and mapping techniques, and quantified interpretation. Lectures are supported by hands-on exercises, and the second day of the course includes two practical correlation and mapping projects. Each participant receives a copy of SEG Geophysical Monograph Series #16, First Steps in Seismic Interpretation, by Donald A. Herron.
The four concurrent sessions allow attendees to mix and match according to their interests and training needs. Courses for the conference may be purchased individually. These individual prices are reflected in the pricing on the course descriptions.
Course notes will be provided in digital format on CD only, so laptops with CD drives are required for all courses. If you do not have access to a laptop computer with a CD drive, please contact the AAPG Education Dept. for an alternate method to download the digital course notes.
** For registration and full event details please visit: HERE! **
Last 5 posts by Susan Nash
- AAPG Pre-Conference Short Courses (URTeC) - July 25th, 2014
- Granite Wash and Pennsylvanian Sand Forum - July 7th, 2014
- Latitudinal Controls on Stratigraphic Models and Sedimentary Concepts: An AAPG/SEPM Hedberg Research Conference - July 7th, 2014
- Folding, Thrusting and Syntectonic Sedimentation: Perspectives from Classic Localities of the Central Pyrenees - June 24th, 2014
- Complex Carbonate Reservoirs: Sedimentation and Tectonic Processes - The Impact of Facies and Fractures on Reservoir Performance - June 23rd, 2014