How Geographical Information Systems (GIS) can be the key to saving money and generating revenue in the oil field is the focus of a web symposium offered March 27 at 2 pm CDT by the AAPG, with special discounts for students and AAPG members. The live segment of The Many Faces of GIS: Oil and Gas Applications will last one hour, but a full day of independent study content is being offered along with the live event for web symposium participants.
The workshop focuses on how GIS can improve monitoring activities, increases operational efficiency, and enable expansion.
Presenters include GIS / geoscience experts Scott Sires and Gerald Bartz who are also professors at the Ellison Miles Geotechnology Institute (EMGI) in Dallas. Additional information will be made available by Dr. Jingyao Gong, who leads the AAPG’s GIS initiative. Facilitating the discussion will be Dr. Susan Smith Nash, Director of AAPG Education and Professional Development.
- Where GIS is today
- How GIS is easier to use than ever before
- Software used to process and manage GIS (open source, shareware, and commercial solutions)
- How GIS can integrate data: field information, pipeline, geology, images
- Data mining to identify problems, find overlooked resources
- GIS and field monitoring and operations coordination
- Field operations analysis and streamlining
- Real-time communications to distributed locations
- 3D and 2D visualization
- Spatial analysis
- Sources of GIS data (national / global)
Who Should Attend?
Geologists, geotechs, engineers, field personnel, operations team members, land department members.
The web symposium will give participants an opportunity to ask questions, and boost their knowledge and skills. It will be followed by a full-day hands-on workshop to be held in Dallas at the EMGI on May 14.
CEUs are available with expanded package (additional lectures, readings, quiz). Information about jobs, careers, and entrepreneurship will be covered.
The cost for the event is $95 for non-members, $50 for members of AAPG. Students may register for $25. Registration now! For questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Last 5 posts by Susan Nash
- Need Funding? Here’s Your Chance: AAPG Research Launcher - April 22nd, 2014
- Seismic Interpretation in Fold-and-Thrust Belts: Field Trip to the Southern Canadian Rocky Mountain Foreland - April 17th, 2014
- Canoeing with Lewis & Clark: A Geologic Excursion along the Missouri in Montana - April 14th, 2014
- New Insights and Developments of the Gulf of Mexico Basin - April 11th, 2014
- Play Concepts and Controls on Porosity in Carbonate Reservoir Analogs - April 7th, 2014