Fundamentals of siliciclastic sequence stratigraphy, is the subject of a short course taught at AAPG’s Summer Education Conference in Fort Worth. The course, which will be held on June 19, teaches sequence stratigraphy as a tool for interpreting seismic and borehole data from slope, shelf, coastal, and/or continental deposits. An entry-level understanding of these depositional environments is anticipated. The instructor, Dr. John Holbrook, is currently a professor at the University of Texas at Arlington and has over 30 referred papers and books, 18 external competitive grants, and over 50 geological maps spanning subjects of Sedimentology, Stratigraphy, Paleontology, Geomorphology, Science Education, and Paleoseismology.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and correlate sequence-stratigraphic surfaces in seismic and borehole data sets for purposes of subdividing reservoir systems into high-resolution sequence-stratigraphic units
- Develop predictions for distribution of reservoir vs. non-reservoir facies from distribution of sequence-stratigraphic units interpreted from borehole and seismic data sets
- Interpret and predict variations in reservoir stratigraphic architecture between different fields, pay intervals, and prospects through a newly gained understanding of the natural variations typical of sequence depositional controls
- Relate outcrop and modern analogs of sequence deposition to subsurface sections
- Improve production evaluations through a better understanding of reservoir dimensions and porosity structure
For more information about the course, please visit the website:
The course, which is a part of the Summer Education Conference, is recommended for geologists, geophysicists, and engineers seeking techniques for improved subsurface mapping and prediction of lithology distribution within siliciclastic reservoir intervals.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last 5 posts by Susan Nash
- AAPG Pre-Conference Short Courses (URTeC) - July 25th, 2014
- Granite Wash and Pennsylvanian Sand Forum - July 7th, 2014
- Latitudinal Controls on Stratigraphic Models and Sedimentary Concepts: An AAPG/SEPM Hedberg Research Conference - July 7th, 2014
- Folding, Thrusting and Syntectonic Sedimentation: Perspectives from Classic Localities of the Central Pyrenees - June 24th, 2014
- Complex Carbonate Reservoirs: Sedimentation and Tectonic Processes - The Impact of Facies and Fractures on Reservoir Performance - June 23rd, 2014