Isn’t it great so many people want to join the AAPG? According to the Prospective Member list five were added January 2 and two were added January 3.
I’d like to highlight this list in this post.
Joining the AAPG as a full Active member is a process that invovles an application, sponsors, approval and opportunity for public approval.
The first step is to complete an application and you are immediately an “Associate” member of the AAPG. You receive member discounts and other benefits until the full process is completed.
The public approval part of the process could be delayed by 30 days, depending on the print cycle. However, the AAPG has now moved this list to the AAPG website for immediate posting.
The steps are spelled out in Section 8 of Article 1 of the AAPG Bylaws but here is a loose summary of the steps that are followed: (please note, I don’t work in member services so this detail may not be completely accurate)
- Application is completed and immediate “associate” membership granted
- included on the application are three individuals confirming the applicants training and experience
- Executive Committee reviews the application.
- Applicant’s name and sponsors is published for public comment for 60 days.
- Active membership granted.
Depending on when these names hit the print cycle it could take as many as 120 days to complete this process from the time of application.
Today the minute their application is cleared for publication it is added to a list on the AAPG website. Their name remains displayed for 60 days and then rolls off the list.
AAPG members may check this list frequently and are invited to make comments in writing to the AAPG Exectutive Committee.
Look for this button on the AAPG home page to access the list.
It is located on the right near the bottom of the page.
Notice on the header of each row there is an ascending/descending arrow. The default sort is the publication date.
Click on the header to sort the list ascending or descending. The arrow will change to reflect the direction of the sort.
Shift click on another column to add an additional sort to the table.
So, if you’d like to sort by City then State or Country you simply click on “City”; hold down your shift key and while holding it down click on “State or Country”.
To clear the sorting you have done, simply refresh the page.
Last 5 posts by Janet B.
- Introducing: AAPG Store - Buy. Register. Download. - April 25th, 2013
- Deadline is December 15 - November 13th, 2012
- Survey done. We have a winner! - October 2nd, 2012
- Online Application System Improved - really! - August 1st, 2012
- Polls Closed Midnight May 15 (CDST) - May 14th, 2012