The below report was submitted by Janice Gregory-Sloan from Schumberger Data & Consulting Services who along with her outstanding team of AAPG members and volunteers coordinated the IBA Gulf Coast Finals for 2009.
Thank you for all of your hard work Janice.
2009 GCAGS Imperial Barrel Award Competition
The GCAGS region held its Imperial Barrel Award Competition (IBA) on Friday, April 3rd. Five teams competed including:
- Louisiana State University
- Texas A&M University
- University of Houston
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette and
- University of Texas at Austin.
All five university teams did an excellent job evaluating the data, presenting their interpretation and presenting their recommendations for developing their acreage. The GCAGS IBA was judged by Jim Fuchs of Anadarko, Tom Bulling of BP and Robert Marksteiner of BP. They did a very effective job critiquing the teams and providing insights on how the teams could improve their work in the future. The following teams placed:
1st place: Texas A&M University ($3000 prize)
2nd place: University of Texas at Austin ($2000 prize)
3rd place: University of Houston ($1000 prize)
We held an icebreaker on Thursday evening, April 2nd at the Schlumberger SIS Breakthrough Performance Center. We had good attendance from the industry, sponsors, volunteers, GCAGS, HGS and competing teams. The students had a chance to interact with Anadarko, Badger Oil, BP, ConocoPhillips, Goodrich Petroleum, Noble Energy, Oxy, Plains, Schlumberger, Shell, St Mary Land & Exploration and others.
There were many companies who supported the GCAGS Imperial Barrel Award program at varying levels of contributions. In these difficult economic times it was inspiring to see that companies supported the training of future geoscientists. The following individuals and companies sponsored the 2009 GCAGS Imperial Barrel Awards:
Anadarko, Badger Oil, Baker Atlas, Tim Bennett, BP, ConocoPhillips, Diversified Mud Logging, eSeis, ExxonMobil, Fugro-Jason, GCAGS, Goodrich Petroleum, William Hagan, Arthur & Alice Johnson, McMoran, NOGS Memorial Foundation, , Petrohawk, PetroQuest, Plains E&P, Prize Petroleum, Stone Energy, Stratagraph, Suemaur, Schlumberger.
Editors Note: If your company would like information on sponsoring the IBA which allows for entry into the Global Finals at the AAPG Annual Meeting in Denver please contact Mike at email@example.com
Last 5 posts by Mike Mlynek
- 2014 AAPG Student Chapter YouTube video competiton -submit entries now. - February 18th, 2014
- 2013 AAPG Student Chapter YouTube video contest. - May 15th, 2013
- Geological Society of America Stephen E. Laubach Structural Diagenesis Research Award - April 10th, 2013
- Student? Coming to ACE 2013? Here is what you need to know/do. - April 3rd, 2013
- Companies Find Your Talent and Students Start Your Career. The Time is Now for AAPG/SEG Student Expo's and Career Fairs. Seize Your Opportunity - August 29th, 2012