From the AAPG/SEG Spring Break Student Expo in Norman, Oklahoma. March 12-14, 2009
The Spring Break Student Expo was in full swing and according to Nikki Chapin with OU 22 companies and over 205 students participating.
Networking, poster sessions, field trips, short courses, a golf tournament and some interviewing were the events of this Expo.
Students from Minnesota to Mexico made the trip to Norman to make industry contacts, and participate in field trips and short courses.
I had a chance to talk with Shannon LeBlanc who is finishing undergraduate work at the University of Louisiana, Lafayette and will be starting graduate work at the University of Houston.
“I think the student Expo is a great opportunity and a good learning experience for any graduate student. Most students including myself noticed things were pretty fierce this year but I think we can take that as some of the best experience. We all have to learn how to be competitive and how to market ourselves (especially right now) and the student Expo definitely gives us the opportunity to do so! Not to mention, it’s also a smart idea to take advantage of the short courses offered at the Expo.”
I was then able to sit in on the Awards Ceremony and catch the results from the poster judges on the poster sessions:
2009 Spring Break Student Expo
Poster Contest Winners
1st Place $500- Christopher D. Althoff
University of Oklahoma
2nd Place $250- Lois E. Yoksoulian
University of Kentucky
3rd Place $100- Ryan D. Lindsay
1st Place $500- Victor Pena
University of Oklahoma
2nd Place $250- Jesus Eduardo Mar Hernandez
3rd Place $100- Charles B. Inyang
University of Houston
For information on additional Expo events please visit: www.studentexpo.info
Until next time.
AAPG Student Affairs
Last 5 posts by Mike Mlynek
- 2014 AAPG Student Chapter YouTube video competiton -submit entries now. - February 18th, 2014
- 2013 AAPG Student Chapter YouTube video contest. - May 15th, 2013
- Geological Society of America Stephen E. Laubach Structural Diagenesis Research Award - April 10th, 2013
- Student? Coming to ACE 2013? Here is what you need to know/do. - April 3rd, 2013
- Companies Find Your Talent and Students Start Your Career. The Time is Now for AAPG/SEG Student Expo's and Career Fairs. Seize Your Opportunity - August 29th, 2012