One of the great disadvantages of a classroom or online course is that you’re not able to go out into the field and see the rocks as they really are. Consequently, many interpretations are idealized along what one would like to see, or, convenient fits with easy-to-run prepackaged software and algorithms.
Chuck Kluth’s course, Application of Structural Geology in Prospecting in Thrusted and Extensional Terrain, provides an antidote. His course, which takes a close look structure (along with fracture networks), features four days of in-class instruction, plus a full day in the field.
Are you working a shale play? You may find yourself in very complex structural regimes. For example, the Woodford Shale in southern Oklahoma is within a complex area, which contains many faults and fracture networks. Granted, there are differences in the overall structural regime, but many of the principles are the same. Closer analogues could be found in California in the Monterey and also in the Rockies with the Niobrara. Your challenges with designing your drilling program, developing completion / stimulation strategies (hydraulic fracturing, proppant selection), are all complicated by structural elements.
Please visit the description of the course and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like a more complete description. It’s a great course taught by an experienced instructor who teaches at Colorado School of Mines. You’ll receive professional development hours, plus Continuing Education Units. Not only that, you’ll earn credit toward AAPG’s new 5-Star Learner Program (announcement to come soon). You’ll love it!
Last 5 posts by Susan Nash
- AAPG Pre-Conference Short Courses (URTeC) - July 25th, 2014
- Granite Wash and Pennsylvanian Sand Forum - July 7th, 2014
- Latitudinal Controls on Stratigraphic Models and Sedimentary Concepts: An AAPG/SEPM Hedberg Research Conference - July 7th, 2014
- Folding, Thrusting and Syntectonic Sedimentation: Perspectives from Classic Localities of the Central Pyrenees - June 24th, 2014
- Complex Carbonate Reservoirs: Sedimentation and Tectonic Processes - The Impact of Facies and Fractures on Reservoir Performance - June 23rd, 2014