Exploration in the Bakken Petroleum System will be taught by Stephen Sonnenberg. He will be speaking on exploring and developing resources in the Bakken and Three Forks formations. This play has proven to be economic and successful for many operators. Intended to be an overview, the course will provide a wide range of topics that will be covered to familiarize the participant with the important nuances of the Bakken and Three Forks play. This course will take place Thursday February 13, 2014 in Houston, Texas, and is part of the Winter Education Conference.For more details: http://www.aapg.org/education/wec/details.cfm?ID=230
Upon Completion of this course, participants should be able to:
–Understand factors related to tight oil production
–Recognize technologies available for tight reservoirs
–Identify the presence of natural fractures
–Determine if a pervasive hydrocarbon exists
–Determine the type of source rocks present and maturity
–Use geological and geochemical reconnaissance
–Understand the importance of mechanical stratigraphy
–Identify matrix porosity and permeability
–Identify reservoir drive mechanisms
This course is an introduction to the Bakken and Three Forks resource play.
The petroleum system approach will be used. A key emphasis of this course will be to show the important elements and processes for continuous oil and gas accumulations.
Participants will learn screening techniques which may help identify “sweet spots” in the Bakken/Three Forks fairway.
The lessons learned in the course can be applied to other tight oil plays.
Last 5 posts by Susan Nash
- Seismic Interpretation in Fold-and-Thrust Belts: Field Trip to the Southern Canadian Rocky Mountain Foreland - April 17th, 2014
- Canoeing with Lewis & Clark: A Geologic Excursion along the Missouri in Montana - April 14th, 2014
- New Insights and Developments of the Gulf of Mexico Basin - April 11th, 2014
- Play Concepts and Controls on Porosity in Carbonate Reservoir Analogs - April 7th, 2014
- A Journey Through the Geological Story of the Colorado Plateau - April 4th, 2014