4-D evolution of contractional terranes is the subject of a short course taught at AAPG’s Summer Education Conference in Fort Worth. The course, which will be held on June 20, is intended to provide guidance integrating these factors into exploration programs within new basins or aiding field development and extension within existing petroleum provinces. Each section of the course manual contains a bibliography of key references to guide further study. The instructor, Dr. Steven Boyer, is a consulting geologist in structural methods and thrust belt tectonics.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- List the common sequence of deformation in thin-skinned belts.
- Evaluate the validity of structural interpretations of fault-related folds.
- Identify “sub-resolution” deformational features that lead to errors in balancing cross sections.
- Explain why a balanced section is not always the best section and describe how attempts to make “balanced” sections may lead to invalid interpretations.
- Contrast the deformation mechanisms that enhance and destroy porosity and permeability and describe the interaction between these competing mechanisms.
- Use fault-related fold models to predict fracture distribution on folds.
- Use critical-wedge theory of thrust mechanics to explain the geometric and kinematic evolution of thin-skinned fold-and-thrust belts.
- Prepare a basin analysis plan than incorporates structural interpretation techniques, sequential modeling, and subsidence profiling in order to predict the timing of hydrocarbon generation and migration and identify migration pathways.
For more information about the course, please visit the website:
The course, which is a part of the Summer Education Conference, is ideal for geologists and geophysicists who are currently working in thrust belts, basement-involved terranes or strike-slip (wrench) systems with a large component of contractional deformation.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last 5 posts by Susan Nash
- Deepwater Reservoirs / 28-29 Jan / Houston - December 3rd, 2013
- 2014 Playmaker Forum: Systems and Success - November 25th, 2013
- Earth-Shaking Change: Reservoirs & Reservoir Quality - November 1st, 2013
- Deepwater Caribbean: Interview with Krishna Persad - October 28th, 2013
- Interview with Donald Herron on Interpretation in Deepwater Reservoirs - October 20th, 2013