There may be job openings on Capitol Hill as some Senators and Representatives, and their staffs are replaced after the election. If you want to apply for one of those staff jobs check out HillZoo.com.
However, this blog is about congressional actions on jobs outside of the Capitol, especially energy jobs.
Over four months this year the House Natural Resources Committee, chaired by Doc Hastings (R-Wash.), or its Energy and Mineral Resources Subcommittee, chaired by Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.), hosted seven hearings celebrating American energy jobs. The short story is that the energy industry offers many job opportunities. These hearings are highlighted in the Policy Watch column in the August 2014 Explorer.
But, there is more for energy and jobs!
Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, in his memo to House Republicans about the September House agenda, identified plans to pass a bill combining several jobs bills to “increase pressure on Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to finally put American workers and economic growth first.” The second legislative effort planned for September is an energy package “that will, among other things, open federal lands, support the Keystone XL pipeline, and prevent environmental regulations that are killing American-made energy.” This bill would also provide thousands of jobs.
However, the timing and politics almost guarantee that these bills will not become law.
- Congress is only in session for three weeks between now and the November 4 elections, and in session only two weeks before the end of the fiscal year on September 30.
- The Senate is unlikely to consider these bills after they are passed by the House.
- The House may not get to these energy job bills because of more pressing legislation. For example, the Ex-Im bank charter expires on September 30, and a continuing resolution is necessary to keep the government open after September 30.
Last 5 posts by Edie Allison
- Fuel Subsidies - August 22nd, 2014
- Renewables are Booming Too - August 8th, 2014
- Waiting for China's Natural Gas Revolution - August 1st, 2014
- Oil on Trains - July 23rd, 2014
- EPA Regulation of Induced Seismicity and Injection Wells - July 16th, 2014