The L. Austin Weeks Memorial Medal is given in recognition for extraordinary philanthropy and service directed to advance the mission of the AAPG Foundation. The 2014 recipient is Dr. James A. Hartman. Jim has been a Trustee Associate since 1992, and has been a strong supporter of university students. Hartman’s most recent passion was establishing the James A. Hartman Student Chapter Leadership Summit. Because of Hartman’s generosity, twelve students in leadership positions are able to attend AAPG’s leadership days and benefit from networking, training and development. During the summit, attendees also collaborate with other leadership throughout the AAPG and establish mentoring relationships. This program encourages and supports the future leaders of the petroleum geoscience community.
Hartman is a retired independent and divides his time between Des Moines, Iowa and Venice, Florida with wife, Molly. His career history includes Reynolds Jamaica Mines, Union Carbide Ore Co. and Shell Oil Co.
This Foundation award, established in 2008, honors the late L. Austin Weeks, whose philanthropic legacy set an exemplary standard. Previous winners were Bob Gunn, Bill Barrett, Jack Threet, Larry Funkhouser, T. Boone Pickens and Marta Weeks.
Last 5 posts by Natalie Adams
- Rubins Joins the Trustee Associates - March 25th, 2014
- Chuck Weiner Named Chairman's Award Recipient - March 17th, 2014
- Welcome David Lawrence to the Trustee Associates - January 20th, 2014
- Foundation supports Honors and Awards - January 7th, 2014
- Datapages Receives $44,700 to Digitize Legacy Collections - December 31st, 2013